Here are some recent comments from our PPC & Affiliate Marketing Director, Keith Posehn:
As you may have heard, Google has been on a website banning spree recently. In the last 48 hours, they have apparently banned several thousand accounts – agencies, merchants and affiliates alike. Further, they have given some guidance as to what to expect moving forward. Here are some key factors to consider for all pay per click advertising and affiliate marketing programs:
- Isolated landing pages and micro-sites are a thing of the past. When creating an AdWords campaign it is now essential to have a site that is ranked (and ranked well). Addionally, is is crucial have a lot of quality unique content on these web pages. Google seems to be placing more weight on content for PPC campaigns.
- It is important to note that you can have a landing page, but it must be on a ranked and on a trusted domain; also, you should have a link directly to it from a page on the site that ranks well for the keywords being bid on.
- Paid Search affiliates are largely gone – many affiliates are leaving paid search as affiliates. This is both a plus and a minus, because it means less competition but also fewer affiliates in the various networks.
- SEO is much more important, even more so than last week! If a site has no inbound links or trust, it will not be awarded a good Quality Score.
- Google is not showing its cards in terms of what sites it does not like. There is a great deal of uncertainty right now. Google is also now entering the market as a competitor directly (i.e. Google Affiliate Network)
What does this mean from an Internet marketing perspective (specifically PPC, Affiliate, and SEO)?
- SEO and content-heavy sites are now an even more important part of PPC and therefore it is imperative to be pursuing both avenues in an online marketing strategy.
- Every AdWords campaign needs much more content, trust and quality to survive. This of course can be provided by Internet marketing companies as well as the brands/clients themselves.
- A much greater level of research and care must be taken when planning any pay per click campaign. Many factors must be considered.
- It would be highly recommended that all e-commerce companies now have an affiliate program on the Google Affiliate Network.
We expect to see more developments over the next few weeks and will keep our readers informed!