Like many of us, we love our clients, and how our relationship progressed is very much like dating. As we start out, things can be a little awkward, learning everyone’s names, roles, and goals. As the months go on and the relationship strengthens; the team comes together on both sides. The results speak for themselves when everyone begins working together towards a common goal.
You start your relationship with an agency in many different ways. For most companies, your first interaction with an agency is like a blind date. Someone you trust has recommended an agency for you to meet, hoping you would make a good match. There is no match.com for clients and agencies. You have to rely on referrals, existing relationships, and mutual trust.
In your first meetings, it’s very much like a first date:
- Everyone is dressed up.
- The conversation is probably a little awkward, as it can the first time meeting.
- There were handshakes, no hugs.
- You talk about your past, but keep it guarded.
- You don’t talk about religion, politics, or money.
After a couple months, the relationship grows:
- Your next few meetings, you learn more about each other’s past. You bond over similar interests and share some laughs.
- You will start talking more openly, but still remain somewhat guarded.
- As you continue, you’ll find that you start to learn about each other and …
- Your biggest fights will be about money and performance.
After the first few months, you will be more comfortable with each other; you will start asking more difficult questions. These questions lead to a deeper understanding of what is being done, and how better results can be achieved. As more time moves on, the agency / client relationship becomes stronger, it becomes a group of people who are working together to achieve the same goal.
Grow your relationship into a strong team:
- You will have greater results as your mutual trust increases.
- As your relationship develops, you will find that you already know what the other team wants.
- The stronger the relationship, the greater potential for great results.
- You will no longer have a client / agency relationship, it will become a partnership.
As we compare an agency relationship to a real life love connection, think to yourself, do I love my agency? Does the relationship you have with your agency feel stronger than just a work client relationship? What kind of results would you have, if your partner was just as dedicated to the account as you are?
Happy Valentine’s Day!