Come join us at Dick’s Last Resort on Wednesday Novemeber 10th in downtown San Diego for the annual Naval Special Warfare Foundation fundraiser!
On November 10, 2010, Dick’s Last Resort will host a fundraising event for the Naval Special Warfare Foundation. Funds raised will be used to support our active duty Naval Special Warfare troops and their families. The NSW Foundation steps in during times of need and provides support in areas where the government cannot. Additionally, the NSW Foundation provides college grants to active duty members of the Naval Special Warfare community and scholarships for the wives, and children of our men killed in combat or training for combat. The Naval Special Warfare community has lost 48 men in combat since 9-11-2001 and we have had over 180 men seriously wounded while fighting enemy forces in Iraq and Afghanistan. On 13 September, 2009 LT Dan Cnossen lost both legs below the knee during a combat operation in Afghanistan. We have lost six men in 2010 conducting combat operations in Afghanistan. Our most recent losses occurred on September 21, 2010 when four of our NSW troops were killed in a helicopter crash during a combat mission is Zabul Province, Afghanistan. The families of these brave men are receiving direct support from the Naval Special Warfare Foundation thanks to the generosity of our donors.
We hope that you will join us at Dick’s Last Resort for a memorable evening. In addition to joining us, we are asking you to make a contribution or donate an item or two for the raffle and auctions that will be held at this event. Your support to our SEAL’s and their families is greatly appreciated.
Naval Special Warfare Foundation: Mission and Accomplishments
Under the three pillars of the mission, The Naval Special Warfare (NSW) Foundation provides the following support.
Education and Motivation
- Grants through the NSW Foundation Scholarship program.
- NSW Scholarships
- Leadership Scholarships
- Harvey Pollak SEAL Scholarship
- UDT-SEAL Scholarships
- NOLS-NSW Scholarship
- Had Richards UDT-SEAL Scholarships
- Computers for the children of NSW warriors killed in combat or training.
- Annually donation to the Special Operations Warrior Foundation to pay for the college education of children whose Special Operations Forces fathers were killed in combat or training.
- Tuition assistance for active duty NSW personnel to defray the cost of books and supplies.
- Special case scholarships for surviving family member of SEALs killed in combat or training.
- Sailor of the Year financial awards for all NSW Commands recipients.
- Support for the SEAL Qualification Training (SQT) and SWCC Qualification Training (CQT) graduation ceremonies.
- Sponsorship of the NSCC Trident Team.
Health and Welfare
- Reimbursement for travel, lodging, and other specific costs for family members to attend memorial services and other events involving the death of SEALs or other
- NSW personnel killed in combat or training.
- Reimbursement for travel, lodging, and other support for family members of SEALs or other NSW personnel wounded or injured in combat or training.
- Reimbursement for dental insurance for widows and children of SEALs and NSW personnel killed in combat or training.
- Assistance in paying NSW command expenses connected with the death of an active duty member that is not combat or training related.
- Financial planning to immediate family members of SEALs and NSW personnel killed in combat or training.
- Funds for active duty family events, command functions, Family Readiness Groups, and ceremonies honoring NSW warriors.
- Assistance to NSW personnel affected by California wildfires, Virginia tornados, Hurricane Katrina, and other natural disasters.
- Assistance to NSW personnel affected by personal and family tragedies.
- Christmas financial gifts to NSW families in need.
- Tailored financial assistance to NSW families with special and unique needs.
- Support for NSW ceremonies honoring Medal of Honor recipients and other heroes.
History and Heritage
- Co-publishes the quarterly magazine, “The BLAST, Journal of Naval Special Warfare.”
- Financial assistance for monuments, exhibits, bricks, and plaques honoring Naval Commandos at veterans memorial parks, Special Operations commands, and museums
- NSW art program – “Rock Portage” and “Hunting Al Qaeda.”
- NSW command projects honoring fallen warriors – mural and monument at SEAL Team 10, SEAL Team 3 quarterdeck; monument at NSW Development Group, and other memorials.
- Maintains a database of the names of combat swimmers who served our country.