Many companies forget how powerful having a press release strategy can be. Yes, I said press release “strategy”. Most companies understand why press releases are important and how to send them out, but many still don’t understand what a powerful compliment this can be to your Internet marketing strategy. Press releases are important for many reasons but essentially it is a free or inexpensive way to get valuable content about your company out on the web. These is no sales pitch and the information must be newsworthy and well-written so you are usually ensured that you will be providing some kind of value for the reader. As a component of an Internet marketing effort, press releases can provide great value.
Three Key Benefits to Press Releases:
- A press release is a great way to blast valuable information about a company and its products, services, promotions, new hires, charitible donations, etc. It is essentially free publicity. Many PR firms do this for clients but most fall short in a few areas on the strategy (by no optimizing the content for search engine purposes, explained below). As a PR element, a press release is free information for the consumer without the annoying sales pitch. Sounds kind of like social media doesn’t it.
- This is also a great way to gain further credibility and provide your audience with subtle messages about how great your company/product/service is. A well-written press release will have all of the basic components including a good captivating introduction that echoes the message in the title, support paragraphs, quotes from executives or happy clients, and an “About” paragraph explaining the company mission/history.
- The third and most important benefit is the impact it can have on search results (search engine optimization). The impact is two fold: First, a well optimized press release can appear in the SERPs for related search terms and in Google News results for similar keywords related to the content. I will explain how to optimize a press release later, but once you have this done, you can use resources like PRWeb.com to blast your release out to many different news channels. When the relase is picked up and distributed to other news sites it can be a great way to receive powerful inbound links to your website. The more quality inbound links your site has, the more likely you are to achieve better rankings (assuming your website is well-optimized).
Three Tips for Creating a Good Press Release Strategy:
- Make a committment to writing regular press releases, optimizing them, and sending them out through PR distribution channels on the web. This is also great content to post on your website as well. Create a news section and upload the releases there as well. The difficult part in doing regular press releases is that you have to find something newsworthy to write about each time…so get creative. You will quickly find out what will be accepted and what won’t by the distribution channels such as PRWeb.com
- Optimize the press release buy including important keywords in the content. Take a couple keywords and use them as anchor text to hyper link back to key pages on your site. Write a proper title and description for the release as well. Sites like PRWeb.com have the tools to accomplish this. Once the press release has been uploaded and optimized, then you submit it for review. The editors will either approve the release and schedule it for distruibution, or they will deny it and tell you what needs to be fixed. Usually, to send an optimized release there is now a small fee but it can be well worth the benefit.
- The third tip as mentioned above is to add the press release content to your website as well in a News or Resources section. Make sure to proof read all content of course. You would be surprized how many press release still have typos and poor grammatical structure.